Friday, September 2, 2011

First impressions

I am at a training center in Managua after a good night's sleep,  It's early, but I got up hoping to find some cafe con leche to keep me company as I write.  Too early, but the Sandanista ad is running on TV at this hour.

Last Tuesday I flew from Boston to D.C for staging at a hotel, one half day of getting to know the other volunteers and getting a first glimpse of Peace Corps service.  I had worried about being the only "older volunteer" in the group, but, belive it or not, there are 3 of us viejas,  One is 72 and on her second tour.  She served in Latvia 10 years ago.  The other is about the same age I'd guess and is noticably disabled from a traffic accident.  They are pretty amazing women.  I am lucky to have them in the group. 

The younger volunteers are also impressive.  Every one of them has traveled widely. Many speak fluent Spanish.  They are young and mature at the same time.  They are generous is sharing their stories and asking about mine.  In short, I landed in an accomplished group and have no worries about the social issues that concerned me at the start.

Training has started.  Yesterday the PC doctor was here for a brief interview and the dispensing of malaria meds, doxyxycline in my case, taken daily for the next 2 years.  I was issued a mosquito net and medical kit.  The safety director was in to begin the process of sensitizing us to how to behave safely in this culture.

At the end of the day we went to the shores of Lake Managua for a cold cerveza.  It gets hot here sometimes.  Sometimes it rains.  It's always humid.  I've taken 2 cold showers.  No problems with that.  I'm doing fine.

Later, the same day:  Today we got assigned to language groups according to ability.  Not surprisingly, I'm in the group with the least accomplished.  There are three of us. Happily, however, I'm rated a novice-mid, not a novice-low.  I have hope for myself.  My little group is assigned to live in the small town of La Paz,  I'm told there are two panaderias (bakeries) and an esquimo (ice cream vendor--isn't that great?).  The streets are paved, but cattle frequent them. This is all hearsay.  I'll verify tomorow when I get dropped off at the house of my host family.  Thence commences complete emersion with 6 hours of language study daily. I'm really hoping the two young men who make up the balance of my group and I will become friends.

I'm looking forward to this next step.  PC is really good at taking us along step by step.  This is an amzingly well run, thoughtful and committed group here in Nicaragua.  I feel safe and supported.   

No comments:

Post a Comment